Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
The highest calibre of surgical care
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Oral and maxillofacial surgery is the branch of dentistry that deals with the surgical management of diseases, defects, and injuries of head and neck.
The highest caliber of surgical care at Malligai dental chennai
At Malligai Dental Hospital, we provide a full range of surgical facilities and a concerned support system for you and your family. Our team of dental experts offers particular attention on oral surgical procedures, providing the topmost caliber and care for patients requiring any surgical procedure.
What does an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon do?
There is a broad spectrum of oral diseases and defects that an oral and maxillofacial surgeon can treat :
- Tooth Extractions:
Teeth which have decayed for a long time and left unattended gets beyond the scope of restoration and has to be extracted. Fractured teeth, fragments of tooth structure concealed below the region of the gums, mobile teeth and impacted third molars/wisdom teeth are advised for extractions and removed by oral surgeons.
- Dental implants: Missing teeth is a serious concern for patients these days. It becomes an aesthetic concern for many if the teeth are missing in the front tooth smile region, or functions such as chewing, speaking and phonetics may be disturbed if more than one teeth go missing. Also, the nearby adjacent teeth tend to migrate and fill up the space left by the missing tooth. The oral surgeon has to analyze the area, bone height, width of bone, etc. and formulate a treatment plan and place dental implants to replace the missing teeth.
- Bone Grafting: Certain regions of the jaw may need a graft of bone to allow implant placement or reconstruct specific defective regions of the oral cavity. These bone grafts are available commercially, and the surgeon packs it in the deprived area using a minor surgical procedure, thus treating the defect.
- Trauma to the head and neck region: Road traffic accidents is one of the leading cause of death, especially in our country. More than death by accidents, a more significant larger proportion of the population are gravely injured, causing multiple fractures and deformities to the head and neck region. An oral surgeon has to manage these injuries to head and neck, treat the fractures to the bones and teeth, and manage skin injuries.
- Diseases of the head and neck: Oral cancer is the second most common cancer prevalent in India. It is mainly attributed to the habits of smoking and tobacco chewing. When you report to us with a suspicious ulcer which has not healed for a long time, or swelling or pus discharge, the first step to diagnosis is to perform a biopsy. A biopsy is the partial or complete surgical removal of the suspected tissue to understand whether the disease is cancerous or not. If found cancerous, surgical removal is to be done.
The next important aspect is the diagnosis of facial pain. This pain can originate due to specific problems concerning the brain and the nerves. Management of facial pain is done by oral surgeons if medications fail to work.
- Orthognathic Surgeries: ‘Ortho’ refers to the bone and ‘gnathia’ to jaws. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons perform corrective jaw surgery for patients who have excessive or reduced growth of the upper and lower jaws which requires surgical intervention and cosmetic correction.
- Cleft Lip and Palate: This condition is profoundly disturbing for babies born with them. Apart from compromised aesthetics, there is considerable difficulty in performing routine functions such as suckling (in cases of infants), chewing and speech. Surgical correction of this condition and establishing normalcy in the life of these children is a specialty oral surgeon’s deal with in their practice.
- Obstructive sleep apnea: Sleep apnea is a potentially serious condition where the airway is obstructed during sleep, and people experience difficulty in breathing while sleeping. Snoring is usually a sign of sleep apnea. Diagnosis and surgical management of sleep apnea are done by our oral surgeons.
- Temporomandibular Joint surgery- TMJ is the only movable joint in your head and neck, located near the region of the ear. It is essential for performing day to day functions such as chewing, talking and even yawning. Injuries and diseases of this joint can be quite painful and oral surgeons perform temporomandibular joint surgery (TMJ) for correcting these malfunctions of the joint and treating TMJ-induced facial pain.
- Aesthetic surgery: Perform facial cosmetic procedures such as nose correction, lip correction and other procedures to enhance facial appearance and function.
A painless surgical experience :
At Malligai Dental Hospital, we assure you a painless and comfortable surgical experience with our latest up to date equipment and well qualified, expert surgical team. Say bye to your dental fear and anxiety as we introduce the concept of sedation dentistry. For further read visit our page:
The Most Advanced Dental Imaging Technology
The accomplishment of an outstanding dental treatment depends not only on the proficiency of the dental practitioner and the cooperation of the patient but also on the equipment being used.
Speaking about the latest advancements in Dentistry, 3D imaging has become an essential tool for modern dental practices over the years. It allows the practitioners to visualize relevant information that cannot be detected using traditional 2D imaging systems.
Malligai Dental Chennai recognizes the need for superior treatments and patient experience and thus offers the Carestream CS 9300 CBCT – the latest in 3D dental imaging for improved diagnoses, better understanding between dentists and patients and more proficient treatment planning.
Are there procedures which specifically require CBCT?
It is probable to work without CBCT, but the certainty, quality, and safety of surgery are enhanced with an improved understanding of the problem you are working with, which is provided by a CBCT scan.
How long does it take to get the scan?
We have the CBCT facility in our clinic, and you can get your scan completed within a few minutes and immediate results.
Why use CBCT scan? What sets it apart from other imaging systems?
The CBCT (Cone Beam Computed Tomography) provides a very detailed 3-dimensional image in contrast to conventional x-rays which only give a 2-dimensional image. The 3D image makes the understanding of the patient’s disease condition much better, thereby helping us provide better and quality dental care.
When is the CBCT scan used?
The CBCT is used when a patient has a complicated, problematic condition and is used to plan the surgical procedure to improve predictableness, quality, and safety of the procedure. It is also used to build a blueprint and simulate a dental implant surgery confirming that the most suitable type of implant is used and also ensuring that no nerve damage or injury to other critical vital structures happens during the operation.
When can I get the results?
Results are provided instantly.
Is there anything I need to do before I come for my appointment?
No. After performing a clinical examination, it is decided whether a CBCT will be of added advantage to your treatment and if so it can be through right away.
Should the amount of x-ray and radiation worry me?
No, the CBCT that we have, provides the smallest amount of radiation of any CBCT machines.It can be roughly compared to two panoramic x-rays or the quantity of background radiation you will experience if you go on a roundtrip flight from Paris to Tokyo. Think about it; pilots are up there every single day.
How safe is the CBCT? Can anyone have their scans taken with CBCT?
The CBCT x-ray is safe. Our CBCT has a highly sensitized electronic sensor which makes it probable to capture the images with minimal radiation dose. Technically, anyone can have a CBCT scan – however, you will keep your head still during the scan. So young children and certain compromised patients who may not be able to keep their head still are the potential limitations.
How important is the CBCT for an oral and maxillofacial surgeon?
It is a fantastic tool as the Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon can understand the problem that he is going to be treating in a 3-dimensional pattern and a very detailed, precise manner. Hence it improves the quality of the surgeries that he does.
Are there other clinics in Chennai that offer CBCT?
Yes, there are other clinics with other machines, but our CBCT machine at Malligai Dental Hospital is the most advanced offering the lowest dose of radiation and highest image quality.
Give a Missed Call for appointments
Malligai Dental Hospital ranks the 9th among the top 10 Dental Hospitals in the city of chennai.
Why Malligai Dental?
- Friendly environment
- largest Dental Clinic in the Area
- Affordable pricing
- Strict Sterilisation and hygiene
- comfortable working hours
- round the clock doctor availability
- All Services under one roof
- In house Pharmacy for dental products
- Skilled Assistants
- Panel of Experts
- More Satisfied Customers
- Senior citizen discount
- Exceptional Expertise
- Nitrous oxide
- Evenings and Saturdays calls
- No interest financing
- Ground floor access
- Wheel Chair access
- 24x7 emergency service
- In House CBCT / OPG
- International Dental Lab tie up
- Dental Spa annexe
- free wi fi
- complimentary beverages
- Referral Discounts
- Cleaning and Consultation for Membership card holders