Treatments » Dental Prosthetics
Restoration of the best possible appearance of your smile
Teeth are as important as any other vital organ in our body. It plays a pivotal role in helping us perform day to day functions. Apart from chewing, teeth have additional significance in proper speech, phonetics, maintaining the bone levels of the upper and lower jaws and hence the aesthetics of the face. Early loss of teeth gives an aged appearance and poses a functional disturbance too. Ultimately it may even affect your lifestyle, causing a detrimental effect on your confidence and self-esteem.
Loss of teeth can be due to one or more of the following reasons:
• Chronic dental caries, which is beyond the scope of restoration and hence extracted.
• Loosening of teeth due to gum problems and due to loss of bone support.
• Injury to the teeth due to trauma, causing fracture of tooth structure and hence extracted.
• A certain fraction of the population is born with missing teeth or defective teeth.
• Wearing away of tooth surface due to habits such as frequent clenching and grinding of teeth.
As mentioned earlier, it essential to maintain:
• Proper chewing
• Speech and phonetics
• Facial Aesthetics
• Maintain harmony among various critical facial structures.
Prosthodontics or dental prosthetics is a specialty in dentistry which involves the diagnosis and treatment planning for rehabilitation and maintenance of the oral function, health, and aesthetics of patients having missing teeth, deficient teeth and compromised oral and maxillofacial tissues using artificial/biochemical substitutes.
A Prosthodontist is a professional who is committed to the replacement of missing teeth and maintenance of the teeth and the restoration in the best possible way, to enhance the appearance of a person’s smile.
There is a broad spectrum of treatment options available for replacement of teeth. But the treatment can be planned only after careful consideration of specific factors such as:
1. Removable prosthesis such as complete dentures, partial dentures, etc.
2. Fixed prosthetics such as crowns, bridges, dental implants, etc.
• Dentures- they can be fixed or removable. It consists of a base made of plastic or metal in which teeth are attached. It can be used to replace single or multiple teeth or even all the teeth in the mouth.
• Dental implant- the state of the art advancement in the field of dental prosthetics, is the implant. It is highly successful as it closely mimics the tooth structure (crown and root) and is highly efficient.
• Veneers- Veneers are shell-like artificial teeth which are chiefly used to restore the front teeth, especially the front aspect which are seen when you smile.It is mainly used to correct mild discoloration in the front teeth.
• Full Mouth Rehabilitation- it involves one or more kinds of prosthetic treatment. It is the replacement of all the teeth in the mouth using multiple dental implants, crowns veneers or even using dentures. It is a highly recommended, most effective and efficient prosthesis.
• Others: prosthetic management for cleft lip and palate, and even facial prosthesis are done.
Care for dental prosthesis:
It is of utmost importance to care for your dental prosthesis as you care for your natural teeth. Brush with keen attention mainly on the prosthetic area. Usage of an antibacterial mouthwash is mandatory and keep your mouth clean at all times by rinsing after every meal. Report for a regular dental checkup to your dentist to get your prosthesis examined.
The prime motto of every dental clinician is to save a natural tooth to the maximum extent because nothing can be as good as your natural teeth. At Malligai Dental Hospital we work towards giving you a near to natural replacement, of equal importance to your functional importance and a beautiful aesthetic smile.