The Damon system is an orthodontic treatment method that involves the usage of “self-ligating” braces. To understand what self-ligating means, we need to understand as to what are parts of a conventional orthodontic appliance. They are
• Brackets- which is bonded onto the tooth through which a wire is passed.
• Wire- which exerts a force on the tooth and helps in movement.
• Elastics/lock pins/metal ties- these are components which assist in holding the wire in the bracket.
So now what does self-ligating mean? This necessarily implies that the brackets hold the wire in place by themselves without the aid of any elastics, metal ties or lock pins. Damon uses a sliding mechanism to cope with the movement of time and hence very mild adjustments will be required.
Most patients are afraid of the days when their orthodontists call them to tighten their braces. Since the Damon system is a tieless procedure, there is more freedom of movement and the need for tightening the appliance is reduced..
Benefits of Damon Braces
• Conventional braces are secured with elastics which cause much of pressure and friction. Contrary to that, Damon braces allow teeth to move easily, swiftly and is exceptionally comfortable.
• Damon braces are intended to be comfortable and easy to maintain and clean. Since there is no need for elastic ties(which usually cause plaque accumulation), it is much simpler for you to brush and maintain a good oral hygiene.
• The Damon system comprises of clear brackets which are practically invisible. This makes the patients feel less self-conscious when using them.
• Damon braces require fewer appointments and also decreased treatment time. Provides good results in a shorter duration. A comparative study showed patients finished their treatment 7.2 months earlier than those with traditional braces.
Well, Damon system a useful alternative option for traditional orthodontic therapy. Hence walk into our clinic and get your smile corrected quickly and efficiently.